The Low Carb Cafe: Forums

The Low Carb Cafe :: View topic - Things I've Learned
The Low Carb Cafe Forum Index  
Forum FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
Profile Log in to check your private messages
Register Log in
Things I've Learned
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Low Carb Cafe Forum Index Low Carb FAQ'S
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrairieGal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Things I've Learned Reply with quote

Some things I've Learned,
(over 4 years on Low Carb)

1. You will NOT have a nice steady weight loss on a low carb diet. That is not how this WOE works. Instead it will be like a roller coaster ride with ups and downs and long periods on the flat straight away.

2. Don't worry when you hit a plateau. Your body needs time to adjust to the "new" weight. It has to decide if your loss is due to famine or sickness or if you WANT to lose weight. (My body is pretty obtuse sometimes!)

3. This is NOT a quick weight loss diet where you "jump on the train for a few weeks, lose weight, and then jump off again". (Mangled paraphrase of Dr. Atkins). This IS a way of eating for the rest of your life....a lifestyle change if you will.

4. There is a common misconception around that if low carbs are good, NO carbs are even better. NOT TRUE! If you don't eat enough carbs, you will lose muscle tone, your brain will not function properly and your body, thinking you are starving to death, will hold on to every single ounce of fat it can find and you may even GAIN weight! You may have to experiment with your carb intake levels until you find the right amount for your own body.

5. There is another misconception that all fats are created equal and LC'ers LOVE fat. This is also not true. You should avoid all trans-fats and not overdo it on saturated fats either. That means NO margarine, no Crisco, etc. Eat only fats that occur naturally and have not been tampered with by man. Good fats include butter, olive oil, fats in nuts and cheese and avocados. Even people who have had bypass surgery are encouraged to add olive oil to their diets.

6. We didn't gain all this weight in 2 weeks and we aren't going to lose it in 2 weeks either. I knew this when I started so I gave myself 6 months to lose the weight I'd put on over 30 years! It didn't happen! After 2 years, I have lost it and reached my goal. 30 years on and 2 years off.....not bad at all!

7. Don't be too worried about the scale or ketosticks. These are merely indicators of your progress NOT a make or break positive/negative test. They can be influenced greatly by the amount of water you drink, how much salt you are getting in your diet, the time of the month, how much fat you ate in any one meal, etc. A much more accurate way to gauge how you are doing is by taking measurements. I lost inches long before the scale budged once.

8. Listen to your body not the "experts" or friends and family. Do you feel
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Low Carb Cafe Forum Index Low Carb FAQ'S All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: