The Low Carb Cafe Forum Index  
Forum FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
Profile Log in to check your private messages
Register Log in
Type II Diabetes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tawanda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Type II Diabetes Reply with quote

I was just diagnosed last week with Type II Diabetes. I've been low-carbing since Mother's Day and have lost 11 lbs so far. My appointment with the nutritionist isn't until 18 June and I really want to keep with the low carb plan. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?
Georgie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on Atkins to get rid of my type II diabetes. My mother had done that so I knew it was possible. The diet the doctors pass out is so full of Carbs no one gets their blood numbers good. Read up on the "number change" they have come up with. They lowered what the definition is so more people get a type II diabetes diagnosis. Read, Atkins for diabetes too. And do Atkins like it was written by Atkins. I think the new way is just a la-de-da do what you feel like thing. Try to go on the 2002 diet.

Also, stay away from any of their candy bars or other high carb products. The "net carbs" is really only for vegetables. Do not do net carbs on anything else. You don't have much time before they test you again. Ask for more time if to see if you can do it with your diet. They will say "Nobody can". At least that is what they said to me eleven years ago in October. My mom did it, I did it and so can you. My blood sugar was 85 all the time by 6 months. I never had higher then 95 in over 10 years.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Georgie. It is possible to lower your blood sugar with diet alone if you do low carb. Dr. Bernstein has written a book called Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Maybe you can get it from the library and read it before your appointment.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Carol. My experience is 11 years old. A lot of people are talking about Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution now. It is low carb eating.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the ladies said and come back often, we'll help!!!

DON'T LOOK BACK, YOU'RE NOT GOING THAT WAY!!!!
Tawanda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll keep y'all posted!
Curlylocks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, Tawanda. I don't have first - hand experience, but a lot of low-carbers do, and they all seem to say the same thing: get on Atkins with real food - skip the "low carb" treats and substitute products - and see what happens. Bernstein has come out with a new book within the last couple of years. But I'm sure any edition of his books will be just fine. Be prepared. The nutritionist probably won't recommend Atkins or Bernstein. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my guy low carbing and his blood sugar has been within normal ranges since he started. His normal two years ago was 200-250.

Keep up the good work. LC really works.

Zoe
Tawanda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all were right about the nutritionist. The first words out of her mouth "Atkins Diet is bad." You have to have carbohydrates. That's what fuels your body. So go ahead and eat potatoes, rice, bread -- just as long as you have protein with it. No word on good carbs, she told us not to pay any attention to the glycemic index, and go ahead and eat brownies as long as you eat a piece of cheese before hand. Another blood sugar lowering tip she provided was to use a smaller plate. ARGH!!!! Thank goodness it was a group thing or I may have had words with her. I'm sticking to LC, using "real food!"
PaulO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you !!!! As long as you stick with your plan it should get better fast.

DON'T LOOK BACK, YOU'RE NOT GOING THAT WAY!!!!
Curlylocks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man, Tawanda! That was worse than I thought it might be. How the heqq do they think eating lots of carbs is going to solve a problem that's made worse by too much carb???? Fuel? I eat lots of FAT for my fuel. But don't say anything to the nutritionist about fat, or you might have to call the rescue squad for her. . . . Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!! I read some excerpts from Dr. Berstein's book on the internet and was so impressed I went out and bought it last night. If I get nothing else out of this book (which I know won't be true) it's the information regarding artificial sweeteners. He says the powdered stuff in packets is approximately 96% sugar based bulking fillers (dextrose, maltodextrine) and only 4% sweetening agent (aspartame, sucralose). I've been using this stuff like crazy! The little solid tablets are ok, just not the stuff in packets. I'm still struggling to get the blood sugar numbers down, but I feel a new sense of affirmation that I'm going about it the right way with diet.
Curlylocks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towanda, I think Stevia is supposed to be OK -- not supposed to cause an insulin rise. The Stevia Spoonable that I use is stevia and erythritol combined. And Bernstein does recommend xylitol chewing gum. I use XyliChew. Check carefully -- a lot of the "xylitol" chewing gums use just a bit of xylitol, but mostly sorbitol, which you do NOT want. Since I don't make cakes and cookies and things anyway, I only use a teaspoon or two of sweetener -- just in my yogurt, or some whipped cream, etc. I've found that a combination of a teaspoon of xylitol with a quarter teaspoon of stevia/erythritol works really well.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the liquid stevia for tea and coffee. It has no taste and no fillers.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol, the interesting thing is that since I've been using stevia/erythritol/xylitol in whatever combinations, I don't even LIKE regular sugar any more. Smile
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: