This comes from The Low Carb Cafe
Adrienne's Italian Beef Stew
|Name||Adrienne's Italian Beef Stew|
|Prep. Time||20 minutes at most|
|Cook Time||2 hours|
|5 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 ½ lbs. cubed Stew Meat
1 medium Onion very finely sliced
2 Carrots chopped
3 T. finely chopped flat-leaf Parsley
1 Clove Garlic chopped
1 Bay Leaf
2 sprigs of fresh Thyme (or ½ t. dried)
1 large Sweet Red Pepper sliced into strips
1 pinch ground Nutmeg
1 C. Red Wine
1- 14oz. can of Plum Tomatoes chopped with their juices
½ C. Beef Stock
15 Black Olives
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
|Step: 1||1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
2. In large pan (Dutch oven is best), heat 3 T. olive oil. Brown meat a little at a time (in bunches). Brown on all sides and remove all meat from pan.
3. Add remaining 2 T. olive oil, onions and carrots. Cook on low heat till softened.
4. Add parsley and garlic. Cook 3-4 minutes.
5. Return meat to pan. Turn up heat and mix well.
6. Stir in bay leaf, nutmeg, and thyme.
7. Add wine, bring to boil and cook (stirring) 4-5 minutes.
8. Stir in tomatoes, broth, olives, and salt & pepper. Mix well.
9. Cover mixture and place in center of oven. Bake 1-½ hours.
10. Remove mixture from oven. Stir in peppers and place back into oven UNCOVERED for 30 minutes.
**If you do not have a Dutch oven, then make stew on top of stove in large frying pan (chicken fryer) and then pour into large casserole dish or roasting pan for the baking time.
Time submitted: Tuesday, July 13. 2004 at 14:13:18
Contributed By: Adrienne
The URL for it is: http://www.lowcarbcafe.com/modules.php?name=Dynamic&op=viewdyn&dyn_id=4